Best WordPress Website Backup Plugins 2020 - Ultimate List
- Staging options
- Quick restore process
- Less load on your WordPress site
- Incremental backup feature
You might have come across many backing up tools that have these features but probably you are overwhelmed by them. We understand the frustration, so we have done all the hard work for you and come up with this ultimate list of the best WordPress website backup plugins 2020. We will make it easier for you to choose the most suitable and best WordPress backup plugin to ensure your content is available to you always.
UpdraftPlus is the most popular and the highest-ranking WordPress plugin for backing up your content. It currently has well above 2 million active installations, which means over 2 million websites trust UpdraftPlus to backup their content. UpdraftPlus is offered as both free and pro versions and the UpdraftPlus team has been so generous in offering features such as scheduled automatic backups as well as complete manual backups with their free version. The free version also offers many storage options to backup your content while the pro version offers a few more options in case you are not satisfied with the free features.
- The free version is compatible with Google Drive, Amazon S3, Dropbox, Rackspace, FTP, Email
- Pro version has Microsoft OneDrive, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, WebDAV, BackBlaze, SFTP/SCP, and encrypted FTP additionally
- Pro version also lets users restore backups from other plugins
- UpdraftPlus free version itself is a very comprehensive backing up and restore solution unmatched by the competing free versions.
- UpdraftPlus customer support is available for the pro version and they are highly responsive to user queries.
- Supports over 16 languages
- Scheduled backups in the free version
- Works with WordPress versions 3.2 and higher at the time of the writing of this article. Therefore, it might not be compatible with older WordPress versions.
- UpdraftPlus is not recommended to be used with sites that have massive amounts of content.
- Their dashboards come with an additional payment plan that is to be purchased through UpdraftCentral
BackupBuddy is one of the oldest WordPress backup and restore plugins and now is offered through ithemes. They are already trusted by more than half a million websites and they encompass a flock of comprehensive and sophisticated features for backing up and restoring content. Unfortunately, BackupBuddy is a paid solution and has three payment plans called Blogger, Freelancer, and Gold. All these options come with free BackupBuddy stash storage space and access to Stash Live.
- Automatic backups
- Real Time backups
- DB optimization and repair for WordPress
- Mass text replacement
- Supports Amazon S3, Dropbox, Rackspace Cloud, BackupBuddy Stash, FTP, Email
- Their interface is pretty much intuitive and therefore, highly beginner-friendly.
- Ticketed Support
- Stash Live access
- Highly optimized Customer Support
- No free version
- No trial or demo options
- Difficult to integrate with password-protected sites
VaultPress (JetPack Backup)
This is the best in the market for everyone who is looking for everything from migrations, backups, security under one umbrella plugin. Although it used to be a separate feature, now VaultPress is offered through JetPack and has the ability to back up all the contents of your sites including posts, comments, multimedia documents, and even revisions. VaultPress also comes with protection from malware and host outages. Since it is offered through JetPack, VaultPress is being offered under a paid option. With VaultPress, all your content is protected in a digital vault that is off the site. It also has the calendar option facilitating restoring content from older backups. Moreover, it also allows the users to perceive how the content looked like from a previous day’s perspective.
- Built-in file scanning, anti spam filters, anti malware, and anti virus features.
- Calendar view
- One-click automated backup
- One-click restoration
- Backups can be downloaded as separate entities
- Since it is being offered through JetPack, it is a part of an all-in-one complete solution for your website
- JetPack customer service is great.
- No free version
- Dashboard is not intuitive
- Password protected WordPress sites can be problematic
- Restoration process is not as smooth.
Duplicator has an active installation base of over one million. As it says in the name, Duplicator specializes in migration and cloning sites and content between domains and hosts as its primary feature. This plugin is heavily optimized towards facilitating these migrations allowing users to move their content between sites without any downtime. Duplicator is also a great option for web developers who are constantly configuring themes and plugins in WordPress sites every time new sites are being built. This can be achieved by using the package migration feature in Duplicator. The Duplicator Pro version also offers scheduled backups and external cloud storage options.
- Bundled-up migration across WordPress sites
- Cloud storage options with Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Amazon S3, FTP, SFTP with Duplicator Pro
- Complete site migrations can be performed without import/export SQL scripts
- cPanel direct connection
- Good customer support
- Multi-threaded support
- Not beginner-friendly
- Free version does not have that many backup related features
BackWPup has over half a million installations and words with WordPress versions higher than 3.9. Although BackWPup is not as popular and highly rated as its competitors, this is definitely worth checking out if its free WordPress backups plugins that you are looking for. BackWPup also gives the option to connect to external cloud storages and FTP. Moreover, you can also receive logs and backups via emails.
- Free version offers external cloud storage options with Dropbox, Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, RackSpaceCloud, SugarSync.
- Pro version offers external cloud storage options with Amazon Glacier and Google Drive as well.
- Pro version also comes with personalized customer support
- Dedicated app feature for urgent restores
- Minimalistic free tier
- One-click backup restore with Pro version
- Available as a standalone app
- Encrypted backup archives
- Might not be beginner-friendly
- Might not be compatible with older WordPress versions
- Might not be compatible with older PHP versions
- Has fewer features than the competitors’ free tier options
Total Upkeep - BoldGrid
BoldGrid is a famous WordPress website builder and Total Upkeep is their backup, restore, and migration solution for the WordPress community. It currently has over 50,000 active installations and requires 4.4 or higher WordPress versions to run without any hassle. As the developers say, Total Upkeep is not your everyday backup solution. Total Upkeep is a fully-fledged solution that has many preventive measures to work against potential catastrophic data losses and also with tools to get the site up and running in no time. Total Upkeep also offers cloning, duplication, and migration options.
- Both manual and automated backups
- Remote backups to FTP, SFTP, and Amazon S3 in the free tier
- Remote backups to Google Drive additionally in the premium tier
- Schedules maintenance checks
- Auto rollback
- Easy clone, duplication, and migration
- One-click schedules backups with the premium tier
- Does not have as many features as the competing plugins
- Might not be beginner-friendly
BlogVault is another one of the backup plugins which is highly affordable. It has almost all the essential features to safeguard the content of your site. They currently have over 60,000 active installations and the developer is one of the highly trusted migrators in the industry. The plugin comes with client reporting features and one-click staging features. It also facilitates WordPress site backing up even when the site is down. Their dashboard also allows accessing all the backups until the site is up and running again. It can also be connected with external cloud services such as Google Drive to have a complete backup of your site.
- One-click restore
- Manage multiple sites from the dashboard
- Website analytics and reporting
- First-class customer service
- Incremental backup
- Battle-tested fast website recovery
- One-click migrations
- Free 7-day trial with all features
- Many of the good features are only available in the pro tier
WP Time Capsule
WP Time Capsule is a plugin that behaves a bit differently to the rest of the backup plugins in WordPress. By default, the content of the site is protected in the external cloud storage like Amazon S3, Dropbox, Google Drive, or Wasabi. The site is backed up on a user-defined interval to these external storage options and WP Time Capsule only backs up the modifications that have been made to the existing site backup in the external cloud, instead of the complete WordPress site. This mechanism of WP Time Capsule maintains the site versioning in real-time much faster due to the lightweight backups and restores it performs. They also offer one-click staging options. Moreover, backups are performed incrementally into the external cloud without compressing and hence, WP Time Capsule uses considerably lesser computational resources and disk space. Therefore, it is inherently optimized.
- One-click staging
- Auto backup and update
- Uses external cloud’s native file versioning system
- Cloning and migration
- Backup calendar view
- No unnecessarily complex features
- Free 30-day trial with all features
- Daily backups with easy rollback to the previous site version
- No free tier
BackUpWordPress is another good option with over 200,000 active installations and high community approval. Additionally, it also has multiple language support making itself a worthy competitor in the global market. BackUpWordPress is compliant with WordPress versions 3.9 or higher and PHP versions 5.3.2 or higher. Therefore, might not be the best option if your site is comparatively old. Moreover, the developers are not supporting the paid add-ons such as external cloud backups to Google Drive and Dropbox since the current owner, XIBO LTD bought BackUpWordPress from HumanMade which was the original developer. Additionally, the current maintainer XIBO LTD recommends choosing UpdraftPlus if the users require the option to backup to external clouds such as Google Drive and Amazon S3.
- Functions in shared host environments and therefore, low memory compatible
- Option to have backups emailed
- Multiple schedule manageability
- Totally free
- Simple and beginner-friendly
- Supports 15 languages
- Good customer support
- Open Source and great community support on GitHub
- Lack of features compared to its competition
- No backups to external clouds
- Might not be compatible with older versions of WordPress
- Might not be compatible with older versions of PHP
- At the time of this writing, 1 year since the last update
WPvivid is another WordPress backup plugin that offers backup, migration, and restore out of the box. It inherently supports migrating your WordPress sites across domains and hosts. WPvivid also offers features such as scheduled backups, backing up content and the site to external cloud storages. It also has options for staging and pushing staging to the live WordPress site. WPvivid is also supported by the page builders Elementor, SiteOrigin, and Beaver Builder. Moreover, its core features include one-click site migration across servers and dev environments. Additionally, it supports DigitalOcean which is comparatively a cheaper option among other leading cloud storage providers. One-click restore is another feature of WPvivid. They are also in par with the leading competitors of backup plugins in the GUI aspect with their responsive design interface. They also have larger community support with live forums.
- One-click site migration
- Supports external clouds Google Drive, Microsoft Onedrive, Amazon S3, DigitalOcean, DropBox
- Supports FTP, SFTP
- Pro tier supports pCloud and Wasabi
- Logging features
- Free tier has many features that are available in the pro versions of the competitors
- Easy site migration process
- Options to filter large files from backups
- Backup to a local host
- Live progress monitoring
- Lifetime one-time subscription
- Only three website builders are supported.
- Incremental backups are only offered in the pro tier
- Multiple pro tiers, and hence, the highest package might have to be purchased to get the most out of WPvivid
Today, in this article, we made you knowledgeable about the best WordPress backup plugins that can save you lots of time and disappointment in the event of a data loss. It is also a good and an important practice to deploy a backup plugin to automate the backing up process and ensure the website is safe and the down times are less. Now that you know the features, pros, and cons of the top WordPress backup plugins, we believe that it will be much easier for you to pick a plugin to suit all your needs.